Saturday, March 13, 2010

Modge Podge rocks!


About two years ago, when I was getting the nursery ready for the arrival of my daughter, I bought wooden letters to write up her name on the wall. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them but I figured I would think of something once they arrived. Well, I didn't. And I just forgot all about them until last week, when I found them in the back of the closet. It's been long enough, I thought. But how should I decorate them? I decided I wanted to cover them with fabric, but how?! I went online and that's when I stumbled upon Mod Podge. It's a sort of glue that clears and hardens as a varnish, once it dries. I wasn't sure if it was going to work with fabric and I couldn't find any info online on how to do it but I decided to go for it anyway.

My first step was to white wash the letters, as I didn't like the color of the raw wood. I used fusible interfacing on the fabric to stabilize it, atraced the letters directly onto the fabric and cut. Using a brush, I applied the Mod Podge on each letter and put the fabric on top of it. I waited for it to dry a little before I applied a coating over the fabric. Again, I waited about 20 minutes before I put in the second and then third coatings. When it was all dry, I used an Xacto knife to cut any excess fabric around the letters, being careful not to cut too much or unglue the fabric.


Finally, I used double-sided tape to hang the letters up and took a step back to admire my work!

1 comment:

  1. beautiful! and for someone who doesn't like pink (me) i sure do like that vibrant pink wall!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Drop me a line using the form below. Thanks!